What’s Happening This Week
There is much more to explore in our calendar. Find other important events in literary history, authors' birthdays, and a variety of holidays, each with related lessons and resources.
Looking for age-appropriate book recommendations, author interviews, and fun activity ideas? Check out our podcasts.
Brian Jacques, author of the Redwall series, was born in 1939.
|Grades||5 – 10|
|Calendar Activity Type||Author & Text|
Brian Jacques was born in Liverpool, England, on June 15, 1939 and died on February 5, 2011. Since the age of 15, Jacques has held a variety of jobs including merchant sailor, firefighter, dock worker, truck driver, boxer, and even stand-up comedian! The first in his Redwall series was published in 1986, after a childhood teacher showed the story to a publisher without telling Jacques. Today, the series boasts 22 books and a number of related titles including two Tribes of Redwall books.
After your students have read one of Brian Jacques' Redwall stories, or another fantasy novel, create a class newspaper based on the story.
- First, have students complete a story map using this Story Map Handout or the interactive Story Mapping tool.
- As a whole class, brainstorm a list of the most interesting or significant story events and characters from the novel.
- Have students work in small groups to write a newspaper story based on a specific character or event from the story. They should describe the scene or character in the style of a news article and write a descriptive headline, such as "Redwall Inhabitants in Struggle of Good vs. Evil!" (You can review the elements of a newspaper article with your students using the Creating a Classroom Newspaper lesson.)
- After all the groups have finished writing their articles, have students use the ReadWriteThink Printing Press to create their newspaper.
- Brian Jacques: The Official Website
This is the official website of children's author Brian Jacques. Included is information about the Redwall series, Jacques' biography, puzzles, and more.
- Brian Jacques Biography
Penguin Books offers this biography of Jacques. The page also features links to an author interview and a booklist.
- Brian Jacques
This Kidsreads.com page includes a biography of and interview with Jacques, along with reviews of books in the series.
- Brian Jacques
This site, from Random House, U.K., offers a biography of Jacques, as well as a list of his books with links to each title.
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The interactive Printing Press is designed to assist students in creating newspapers, brochures, and flyers.