Today, the American Library Association announces its annual book award winners.
|Grades||3 – 12|
|Calendar Activity Type||Literacy-Related Event|
Each year, the American Library Association recognizes a multitude of books and authors for their quality and impact. Ranging from awards for young children's books such as the Caldecott and Newbery Medals, to the Belpré award for books celebrating Latino culture, to the Sibert Medal for distinguished informational books, the ALA recognizes a wide range of outstanding material for children, young adults, and adults.
- John Newbery Medal
- Randolph Caldecott Medal
- Coretta Scott King Author and Illustrator Awards
- Michael L. Printz Award
- Margaret A. Edwards Award
- Andrew Carnegie Medal
- Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Medal
- Pura Belpré Award
- Mildred L. Batchelder Award
- Schneider Family Book Award
Visit the ALA pages for each award. Select from the list above the award most relevant to your students' ages and interests. Have your students select a winning author or illustrator from the award set you have selected, and instruct them to complete one of these activities:
- Write or illustrate a story in your chosen author/illustrator's style.
- Conduct Internet research on your author/illustrator and then stage a mock interview based on your research.
- Present a book review of one of your chosen author/illustrator's "must-read" titles.
- Teach with Award-Winning Children's Books
This Scholastic webpage includes links to past winners of ALA awards. Many titles offer links to additional resources, including author biographies, discussion guides, and more.
- 100 Best Books for Children
This booklist includes 100 top recommendations from the National Education Association for children and young adults.
Grades 3 – 8 | Calendar Activity |  July 19
Each student chooses a book that is special and writes a short story about why it deserves special mention. Students can plan the pages of their own stories and then make a Stapleless Book or use the ReadWriteThink Printing Press.