ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Amelia Bedelia Up Close! Closely Reading a Classic Story
|Grades||1 – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 30–45-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
- Student computers with Internet access
- Demonstration computer with Internet access
- Paper and writing supplies
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
This tool provides a fun and useful way to explore a variety of topics such as a character in a book, a person or place from history, or even a physical object. An excellent tool to for summarizing or as a prewriting exercise for original stories.
- Amelia Bedelia’s Chore Table
- Trading Card Creator Planning Sheet
- Amelia Bedelia Close Reading Rubric
- Get a copy of Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish.
- Bookmark the interactive Trading Card Creator on all student computers and your demonstration computer.
- Make sure you have enough paper and writing supplies for each student to use during Sessions 1 and 2. (Please note, in Session 2 you may use the back of Amelia Bedelia's Chore Table printout to save resources.)
- Print out a copy of Amelia Bedelia’s Chore Table and the Trading Card Creator Planning Sheet for each student.
- Print out a copy of the Amelia Bedelia Close Reading Rubric for you to use for each student.
- Ensure that you have printing capabilities so students can make a hard copy of their completed character trading cards.