ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Blurring Genre: Exploring Fiction and Nonfiction with Diary of a Worm
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute Sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Copies of Doreen Cronin's Diary of a Worm (2003), Diary of a Spider (2005), and Diary of a Fly (2007)
- Websites and print texts for student research of the class-chosen topic
- Computers with Internet access
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
Useful for a wide variety of reading and writing activities, this outlining tool allows students to organize up to five levels of information.
Grades 3 – 10 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
This interactive invites students to create original multigenre, multimodal works--one drawing and three written texts--making the tool flexible for multiple writing activities.
- K-W-L Chart
- Peer Evaluation Sheet for Diary Entries
- Diary Book Rubric
- Diary Book Reflection Questions
- Obtain a copy of Diary of a Worm, Diary of a Spider, and Diary of a Fly.
- Make copies of necessary handouts.
- Gather resources (either print or online texts) for inquiry after students have chosen a class topic. Check ahead to recommend appropriate online sites.
- Depending on your students' familiarity with research skills and processes, you may wish to provide students some instruction adapted from the following ReadWriteThink lessons: Developing Searching, Skimming, and Scanning Skills with Internet Bingo; Inquiry on the Internet: Evaluating Web Pages for a Class Collection; Wading through the Web: Teaching Internet Strategies; and the interactive Fact Fragment Frenzy.
- Test the ReadWriteThink interactive Multigenre Mapper and NoteTaker to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure you have the proper Internet plug-ins, available at our Technical Support Page.