ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Book Clubs: Reading for Fun
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Recurring Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Introduction: 50 minutes; thereafter: 10 minutes per session|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Multiple copies of texts for student groups to use, either from the library or your personal collection.
- Chart paper and markers.
- (Optional) Internet access to an online book club site where groups can post details about their readings.
- (Optional) McClure, Amy and Janice Kristo, Eds. 2002. Adventuring with Books: A Booklist for Pre-K-Grade 6. 13th Ed. Urbana, National Council of Teachers of English. This booklist may help the teacher choose books for students.
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Graphic Map assists teachers and students in reading and writing activities by charting the high and low points related to a particular item or group of items, such as events during a day or chapters in a book.
- Gather multiple copies of books from your school's library or your personal collection.
- Check online book club resources, such as the ones listed in the Websites section to find sites appropriate for your students.
- (Optional) Set up a favorite books file—a notebook located near the class library will work. This booklist in Amy McClure and Janice Kristo's Adventuring with Books: A Booklist for Pre-K-Grade 6 may be helpful in choosing books and showing an example of book lists.
- Make copies of reading portfolio forms and book review forms, in the Printouts section, if desired.
- If desired for the extension, test the Graphic Map on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.