ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Book Report Alternative: Creating a New Book Cover
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Selected texts for students to examine
Grades 3 – 8 | Student Interactive | Inquiry & Analysis
Explore the parts of book covers and dust jackets with this online guide, designed to to allow users to review the content that appears on each portion of these artifacts.
Grades K – 8 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Book Cover Creator is designed to allow users to type and illustrate front book covers, front and back covers, and full dust jackets. Students can use the tool to create new covers for books that they read as well as to create covers for books they write individually or as a class.
- Examining Book Covers and Dust Jackets
- Book Cover Components checklist
- Dust Jacket Components checklist
- Book Cover Rubric
- Publishers' Bindings Online: 1815–1930
- Dust Jackets from American and European Books, 1926–1947
- New York Public Library Digital Gallery
- Gather books for the students to examine that have different and interesting book covers or dust jackets. You can also choose images of book covers online at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, or another online book seller.
- Make appropriate copies of the Examining Book Covers and Dust Jackets, Book Cover Components, and Dust Jacket Components.
- Make copies of the rubric so each student has a copy.
- Test the Book Cover Guide and Book Cover Creator on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.