ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Brave New Words: Novice Lexicography and the Oxford English Dictionary
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Six 50-minute sessions (plus additional time for composing essays and presentations, if necessary)|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Dictionaries and/or online dictionaries
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Persuasion Map is an interactive graphic organizer that enables students to map out their arguments for a persuasive essay or debate.
- New Word Investigation
- Introduction to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
- Preparing Your OED Entry
- Checklist for OED Entry
- New Word Persuasive Essay Rubric
- OED Lexicography Reflection Sheet
- Determine the amount of time you will give students for the investigation component of the assignment. Students will need ample time to scan for new words in conversation, in print, on television, on the Internet, and on the radio.
- Visit the OED Website and explore all the introductory resources it has to offer. Determine the depth to which you wish to expose your students beyond the links suggested in the lesson.
- Determine your standard for appropriateness for new words, as many slang words will have denotations or connotations that may not be appropriate in school settings. Words that are derogatory, sexual, or related to activities inappropriate for adolescents will need to be handled with special care, if allowed at all.
- Make copies of all necessary handouts.
- Arrange for students to have computer and Internet access during Session One and Three (optional), Session Two, and Session Five.
- Bookmark and test the Persuasion Map on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.