ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
A Case for Reading - Examining Challenged and Banned Books
|Grades||3 – 10|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Selected books as examples (from the 100 most frequently challenged books list)
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Persuasion Map is an interactive graphic organizer that enables students to map out their arguments for a persuasive essay or debate.
- Example Family Letter
- Persuasion Map
- Book Challenge Investigation Bookmarks
- Persuasive Writing Rubric
- American Library Association: Banned & Challenged Books
- Challenged Children's Books
- American Library Association Banned Books Week
- 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books
- Because this lesson requires that students read a book from the ALA Challenged Book list, its a good idea to notify families prior to starting the assignment. See the example family letter for ideas on how to notify families.
- Bookmark the websites listed as resources to refer to throughout the lesson.
- Compile grade-appropriate books for students to explore using the Challenged Children's Books list. Talk to your librarian or school media specialist about creating a resource collection for students to use in your classroom or in the library.
- Copy T-Charts and/or bookmarks for students to document passages as they read.
- Test the Persuasion Map on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.