ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Childhood Remembrances: Life and Art Intersect in Nikki Giovanni’s “Nikki-Rosa”
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- A presentation computer with multimedia capabilities
- Projection device
- Biographer's Interview Chart
- Video of Giovanni reading "Nikki-Rosa"
- Transcript of "Nikki-Rosa"
- The Top Ten African-American Inventors
- Black History Month Biographies
- What Is a Biography?
- Nikki Giovanni Website
Nikki Giovanni's Website includes biographical information and Web links to additional information on her writing. Note that the details on books and other resources link to Amazon.com; however, the multimedia, biographical information, and timeline are free of commercial links.
- Make copies of the Transcript of "Nikki-Rosa" (or provide copies of the poem from a textbook).
- (optional) If computer access is limited, make copies of the Biographer's Interview Chart for students, in lieu of the student interactive.
- Make sure that your computers have the QuickTime or Real Player plug-in installed so that the "Nikki-Rosa" video will play. The plug-ins can be downloaded from the video page. Visit the page just before you begin Session One so that the download is completed when you are ready to play it for your class.
- Test the Biographer's Interview Chart on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.