ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Choose Your Own Adventure: A Hypertext Writing Experience
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Eight 50-minute sessions|
Yankton, South Dakota
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Access to an Internet-connected computer for each group
- Web-authoring software or Microsoft Word® or other word-processing software
- Access to a Website on which to upload Web pages, or CD burner and blank CDs, or floppy disks (if word processed)
- Copies of various Choose Your Own Adventure books (If books are not available, online versions of Choose Your Own Adventure story Websites are provided in the Resources section.)
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Webbing Tool provides a free-form graphic organizer for activities that ask students to pursue hypertextual thinking and writing.
- Choose Your Own Adventure in Hypertext
- Reflective Journal Instructions
- Student-Designed Web Page Rubric for Choose Your Own Adventure
- Graphic Organizer
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000® directions
- Obtain access to computers and other software.
- Acquaint yourself with the method you choose for students to construct their Web pages, for example, Microsoft FrontPage®.
- Make copies of handouts and rubrics.
- Acquaint yourself with the format of Choose Your Own Adventure stories.
- Obtain copies of books or a way to give students access to the Web.
- Test the Webbing Tool student interactive on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.