ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Collaborating on a Class Book: Exploring Before-During-After Sequences
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 50-minute sessions|
Charleston, South Carolina
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Chart paper or poster board, markers
- Pumpkin carving tools
- Camera (optional)
- Any one of the following sets of materials to publish the story:
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The interactive Printing Press is designed to assist students in creating newspapers, brochures, and flyers.
- Compile group writing materials.
- If desired, you make take photos of the pumpkin at various stages of the activities then use those photos to illustrate your class book.
- Make copies of Pumpkin Observation Sheet, Web Resources for Research, and Extension and Enrichment Activities.
- Familiarize yourself with PowerPoint, including adding graphics and movement, using the online tutorial for using PowerPoint.
- Test the ReadWriteThink Printing Press, Pumpkin Carving Sequencer, Virtual Pumpkin, and Pumpkin Simulator on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the correct plug-ins installed. You can download the plug-ins from the technical support page.
- Note that the Pumpkin Simulator should only be used under adult supervision as other games and interactives on the site are not appropriate for the classroom.