ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
A Collaboration of Sites and Sounds: Using Wikis to Catalog Protest Songs
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Two 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Internet access
- A recording of Kanye West's "Diamonds from Sierra Leone"
- Additional recordings of protest songs (See this List of protest songs from the Protest Songs from the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty)
- "Wiki: Don't Lose That Number" (one copy per student)
- "Make Way for Wikis" (one copy per student)
- Online Self-reflection Checklist
- Protest Song Lyrics Research Guide (three copies per student)
- Wiki Rubric
- Group Participation Assessment Sheet
- If your classroom does not have computer access, arrange for class time in the computer lab.
- Look into your administration's policies about students publishing on the Internet. Even if the rules prohibit this practice, many aspects of this lesson can be carried out off-line; the wiki component can be replaced by ideas in the Extensions section.
- Make appropriate copies of the Research Guide, "Make Way for Wikis," "Wiki: Don't Lose That Number," and Group Participation Assessment Sheet.
- Set up a wiki account with third-party server (unless you have some technical knowledge and would rather start one from scratch) such as Seedwiki or the password-protected PB Wiki.
- Visit the example wiki, and bookmark it for instructional use.
- Make copies of the Wiki Rubric for the students.
- Test the Online Self-reflection Checklist on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.