ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Color PoemsUsing the Five Senses to Guide Prewriting
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Large boxes of crayons, or paint chips from a home improvement store
- Additional color poems from Mary O'Neill's Hailstones and Halibut Bones and/or the listed Websites
- Sentence Strips
- Writer's notebooks
- Variety of art materials
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The interactive Printing Press is designed to assist students in creating newspapers, brochures, and flyers.
- Have a variety of physical examples of color available for the students. This could be a large box of crayons, or paint chips from the home improvement store.
- Gather sample poems to share with students from Mary O'Neill's Hailstones and Halibut Bones and/or the listed Websites.
- Make appropriate copies of the Color Poem Templates, Color Poem Examples, and Color Poem Assessment.
- This lesson assumes that students have a working knowledge of similes. If not, please refer to the following lessons to set the stage: Figurative Language Awards Ceremony.
- View additional poetry links, if necessary, to ensure that they are appropriate for your students.
- Test the ReadWriteThink Printing Press on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.
- Choose the templates that will work best for your students' work-brochures, flyers, or booklets. Adapt this lesson plan for the option you've chosen.