ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Our Community: Creating ABC Books as Assessment
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
Grand Island, Nebraska
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Bookmarked Websites from the local community or state
- Books published on the local community or state, if available
- Brochures, booklets, pamphlets, fliers and newspapers from the community
- Field trips, speakers, field experiences, activities, etc. to explore and learn about the topic of study
- Chart paper or board and markers
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
Students use this online tool to create an alphabet chart or pages for an alphabet book.
Grades K – 5 | Mobile App | Organizing & Summarizing
The Alphabet Organizer lets users create a calendar-style ABC chart or letter pages for an alphabet book.
- A List of Alphabet Books
- Sample Organizer for Alphabet Book
- Student Self-Assessment for the Class ABC Book
- Choose an area of inquiry—this unit uses "community" as the theme, but the activity can be adapted for any area of study. Plan the exploration of the theme—assemble the resources needed, plan the activities, field trips, speakers, field experiences, and so forth.
- Provide examples of alphabet books so that students can review the genre and its organization.
- Assemble the writing materials listed above for students to use as they record vocabulary words and key concepts and create their ABC Book.
- Post the self-assessment and make copies of the form for each student.
- Make copies of ABC organizer for all students, or make a transparency to share with the class.
- Test the Alphabet Organizer on your computers and download the Alphabet Organizer mobile app to familiarize yourself with the tool.