ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Comparing Fiction and Nonfiction with "Little Red Riding Hood Text" Sets
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Eight 50-minute sessions|
Rochester, New York
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Text Sets composed of a variety of texts:
- How to Implement Text Sets in the Classroom
- History, Analysis, and Interpretation of "Little Red Riding Hood"
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Story Map interactive is designed to assist students in prewriting and postreading activities by focusing on the key elements of character, setting, conflict, and resolution.
- “Dances with Wolves: Little Red Riding Hood's Long Walk in the Woods”
- National Wildlife Federation: Gray Wold
- PBS's NOVA: Wild Wolves
- Compile text sets for students to explore during this unit, using the Traditional and Modern Retellings of "Little Red Riding Hood" booklist and the Wolves in Fiction and Nonfiction booklist. For more information, see the handout that explains How to Implement Text Sets in the Classroom.
- Explore information from History, Analysis, and Interpretation of "Little Red Riding Hood", "Dances with Wolves: Little Red Riding Hood's Long Walk in the Woods," and The Little Red Riding Hood Project for background information and material that can be used as appropriate during the unit.
- Specific versions of the tale are explored during the class sessions. If one of the texts is unavailable, substitute a similar version of the story.
- Test the Story Map and Venn Diagram interactives on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.