ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Completing the Circle: The Craft of Circular Plot Structure
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
Maple Grove, Minnesota
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Long Night Moon by Cynthia Rylant
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Circle Plot Diagram can be used as a prewriting graphic organizer for students writing original stories with a circular plot structure as well as a postreading organizer used to explore the text structures in a book.
- Circle Plot Books for K-2
- Circle Plot Graphic Organizer
- Drawing Story Frame
- Drawing and Writing Story Frame
- Self-Assessment for Circle Plot Story
- Teacher Assessment for Circle Plot Stories
- Gather picture books that use a circular plot structure, including Long Night Moon by Cynthia Rylant. Rylant’s book explains the names Native Americans have given to the twelve moons of the year. If you do not use Rylant’s book, adjust Session One to fit the book that you have chosen.
- Prepare a sample on the Circle Plot Diagram to demonstrate to the class after sharing one of the books. If computers are not available, make copies of the Circle Plot Graphic Organizer for students, and adjust the instructional plans to fit the printed handout.
- If the computer interactive is used, the computer lab may need to have a link prepared on each student computer for student access.
- Make copies of the Drawing Story Frame or Drawing and Writing Story Frame, Self-Assessment and Teacher Assessment for each student.
- Test the Circle Plot Diagram on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.