ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Copyright Infringement or Not? The Debate over Downloading Music
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Ten 50-minute sessions|
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Persuasion Map is an interactive graphic organizer that enables students to map out their arguments for a persuasive essay or debate.
- Debating Music Downloads Travelogue
- Analyzing Opinions on Music Downloads Chart
- Online Point of View Chart
- Debate Roles and Rules
- Preview the Debate Over Downloading Music Links to check that the school's firewall will allow the sites to be viewed.
- Reserve computer lab time to conduct research as well as to work with the Persuasion Map.
- Make copies of the Debate Rubric.
- Test the Point of View Chart on the computer, or make copies of the print chart.
- Test the Persuasion Map on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.
- See Debate Central from the University of Vermont for a wide variety of information about debate, including learning materials, videos of debates, instructional videos, debate news, and links to debate organizations.