ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Cover to Cover: Comparing Books to Movies
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Seven 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Grades 6–8 Book and Film List
- Book(s) and film you plan to share with students
- Television and VCR or DVD player
- Writer’s Notebook
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The CD/DVD Cover Creator allows users to type and illustrate CD and DVD covers and related booklets for liner notes and other information. Students can use the tool to create covers for books, music, and films that they explored as well as to create covers for media they compose individually or as a class.
- Permission to View Film/Video handout
- Focused Reading and Viewing Guide
- Book and Movie Comparison/Contrast Guide
- Thinking Critically about the Movie Adaptations: Preferences and Effects
- DVD Cover Templates and Layout
- Movie Adaptation DVD Cover and Notes Project
- Movie Adaptation DVD Cover and Booklet Project Rubric
- A Closer Look at Book and DVD Covers (optional)
- The Internet Movie Database
- A Basic Glossary of Film Terms
- YA film adaptations
This site includes short descriptions of films based on YA novels, as well as trailers for the films.
- Select a book that has been made into a movie to read aloud to the class. Possible titles have been included on the Grades 6–8 Book and Film List. If you wish to make these activities cross-curricular then cross-check the title with the Website Teach with Movies.
- Obtain permission for viewing the film using the Permission to View Film/Video handout, or the permission forms and any other documents required by your school or district.
- Decide whether students will complete the Focused Reading and Viewing Guide as they read or after the novel is complete.
- Share the novel with the class.
- Make copies of all necessary handouts.
- Test the DVD Cover Creator on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.