ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Creating a Classroom Newspaper
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Ten 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Computer lab with Internet access
- Multimedia software
- Access to a library of images/graphics
- Scanner (optional)
- Digital camera (optional)
- Deadline! From News to Newspaper by Gail Gibbons (HarperCollins, 1987)
- The Furry News: How to Make a Newspaper by Loreen Leedy (Holiday House, 1993)
- Freddy and the Bean Home News by Walter R. Brooks (Puffin, 2002)
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The interactive Printing Press is designed to assist students in creating newspapers, brochures, and flyers.
- Inverted Pyramid Format
- Newspaper Story Format
- Story Feedback Form
- Newspaper Writing Assessment
- Reporting Tips
- Reporter's Guide
- Junior Seahawk Newsletter
- Internet Public Library (Access to newspapers worldwide)
- Grandview Newspaper lesson plan
*Prerequisite skills: Familiarization with an appropriate multimedia software program
|1.||Review and bookmark sample of classroom newsletters from Websites list. Review and bookmark the Internet Public Library website.
|2.||Obtain copies of books from Materials and Technology list, and secure copies of local, state, and/or national newspapers (at least 6-8).
|3.||Access the Grandview Newspaper lesson plan, and print a copy of the "Bad Fall Injures Children" news article.
|4.||Make an overhead of Inverted Pyramid Format and Reporting Tips sheet
|5.||Make student copies of Newspaper Story Format sheet, Story Feedback Form, Reporter's Guide handout, and Newspaper Writing Assessment sheet.