ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Creative Outlining-From Freewriting to Formalizing
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
Sparta, New Jersey
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- "The Fall of the House of Usher" by Edgar Allan Poe
- Highlighter pens (optional)
- Index cards
- Glue sticks
- Freewriting or Rehashing the Plot? overhead or PowerPoint presentation
- Developing a Thesis Statement: Examples overhead or PowerPoint presentation
- Computer classroom with Internet access
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
Useful for a wide variety of reading and writing activities, this outlining tool allows students to organize up to five levels of information.
- Prior to starting this week-long lesson plan, set aside two class sessions for students to read "The Fall of the House of Usher." It is important to see them reading to make certain the writing that follows is authentic. They should not take notes on the text, but simply immerse themselves in the language of the story.
- Review lesson on thesis statements available online at The OWL at Purdue: Writing about Literature.
- Prepare to show the Freewriting or Rehashing the Plot? and Developing a Thesis Statement: Examples PowerPoints. Alternatively, if a computer and LCD projector are not available, make overheads of the Freewriting or Rehashing the Plot? and Developing a Thesis Statement: Examples sheets.
- Test the ReadWriteThink Notetaker on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and to ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.