ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Critical Media Literacy: TV Programs
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 45-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Videotape of popular sitcom from television
- Online article: A Different World: Children's Perceptions of Race and Class in Media
- Online article: Skills & Strategies for Media Education
- Read the two online articles.
- Videotape a sitcom that is popular with your students.
- Plan time in the computer lab to complete the scavenger hunt activity.
- Make copies of the Media Observation sheet and Media Awareness Scavenger Hunt sheet