ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Decoding The Matrix Exploring Dystopian Characteristics through Film
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 50-minute sessions|
Charleston, South Carolina
- Dystopias: Definition and Characteristics
- Identifying Dystopian Characteristics
- Identifying the Characteristics of a Dystopian Protagonist
- Dystopian Film Clip Guide
- Teacher’s Film Clip Guide: The Matrix
- Prior to Session One, use the Dystopian Film Clip Guide and Teacher’s Film Clip Guide: The Matrix to select and preview the film clips will you will use for this lesson. All of the film clips selected are free of profanity and contain only mild violence.
- Make copies or overhead transparencies of the handouts: Dystopias: Definition and Characteristics, Identifying Dystopian Characteristics, and Identifying Characteristics of a Dystopian Protagonist.
- Test the Interactive Venn Diagram on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.