ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Developing a Definition of Reading through Investigation in Middle School
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- One note card for each student
- Paper, pens
- A variety of texts for analysis and investigation
Grades 6 – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
Students use the Profile Publisher to draft online social networking profiles, yearbook profiles, and newspaper or magazine profiles for themselves, other real or fictional characters.
- Reading Survey
- Personal Profile: Readerís Profile Directions
- Personal Profile: Sample Readerís Profile
- Defining Reading Hands-on Investigation
- Defining Reading Reflection Sheet
- Compile a large variety of texts. Include picture books, beginning readers, elementary books on different reading levels, textbooks from different grades and subjects (elementary through college level), general fiction and non-fiction, reference books, dictionaries, poetry anthologies, plays, diaries, and professional books. Also include magazines and newspapers as well as technical reading, such as instructions, manuals, and job applications. Print a few Web-based texts such as a home page for a news source, a blog entry, or a Wikipedia entry to round out the collection.
- Make copies of necessary handouts.
- Type and copy the compiled list of student definitions of reading between Sessions One and Two.
- Type and prepare an overhead of the group definitions between Sessions Two and Three.
- Schedule an Internet-connected computer lab for Session Four.
- Test the ReadWriteThink Profile Publisher interactive on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.