ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Discovering Memory: Li-Young Lee’s Poem “Mnemonic” and the Brain
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Eight 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Various art supplies
- Access to computers
- Brain Questions overhead
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
Students generate descriptive timelines and can include images in the description.
- Brain Questions and Answers
- Brain Questions
- Project Checklist & Reflection
- Student Comments on Li-Young Lee's "Mnemonic"
- Mnemonic Project Planner
- A Guide Through the Labyrinth of Memory
- Sheep Brain Dissection: An Anatomy of Memory
- Childhood Remembrances: Life and Art Intersect in Nikki Giovanni’s “Nikki-Rosa”
- Graphic Life Map
- The Virtual Body
- Obtain a copy of Li-Young Lee's poem "Mnemonic" which can be found in his book Rose (BOA Editions, Ltd., 1986).
- Gather various art supplies depending on the type of project each student chooses to do.
- Arrange for students to have access to computers for one class session.
- Create a Brain Questions overhead.
- Make a copy of the Brain Answer Key and Student Comments on Li-Young Lee's "Mnemonic" sheets for your reference.
- Make copies of the Mnemonic Project Planner and Project Checklist & Reflection handouts for each student.
- Optional: Arrange for students to have an audience for their memory fair.
- Test the Interactive Timeline tool on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.