ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Examining Island of the Blue Dolphins through a Literary Lens
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Twelve 50-minute sessions|
Rochester, New York
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Copies of Island of the Blue Dolphins for the class
- Chart paper and felt-tipped marking pens
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Story Map interactive is designed to assist students in prewriting and postreading activities by focusing on the key elements of character, setting, conflict, and resolution.
- Certificate of Recognition
- Novels with Strong Protagonists
- Island of the Blue Dolphins Lesson Rubric
- Island of the Blue Dolphins Session Notes
- Island of the Blue Dolphins Story Organizer
- Island of the Blue Dolphins Vocabulary
- Obtain enough copies of Island of the Blue Dolphins for your class.
- Make copies of the Island of the Blue Dolphins Lesson Rubric for your reference.
- Make copies of the Island of the Blue Dolphins Story Organizer for your students.
- Make several copies of Island of the Blue Dolphins Session Notes for each student. Each student will need one sheet per chapter; you can distribute these all at once or as each chapter is assigned. Alternatively, you can ask students to record the same information in their journals.
- Make several copies of Island of the Blue Dolphins Vocabulary for each student.
- Several weeks prior to the lesson, begin collecting news stories about people in your community who have faced adversity or hardship with courage. Save newspaper clippings in a folder.
- Test the ReadWriteThink Story Map on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.