ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Exploring Disability Using Multimedia and the B-D-A Reading Strategy
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Class computer with Internet access
- Faces of the ADA: Casey Martin
- Special Olympics: Athlete Resources
- International Paralympic Committee
- USA Water Skiing for the Disabled
- A Chronology of the Disability Rights Movements
- Beyond Affliction: The Disability History Project
- NPR: “Beyond Affliction: The Disability History Project”
|1.||Preview the following websites used in the background-building initial lesson activities:
|2.||Preview the A Chronology of the Disability Rights Movements, and print one copy of the chronology to hand out to each group of students.
|3.||Preview the Beyond Affliction: The Disability History Project website, which will be the main student resource for the lesson.
|4.||Preview the following student handouts: