ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Expository EscapadeDetective’s Handbook
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Fifteen 40-Minute Sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Literature and Writing: Investigating Mysteries by Tony DeLuna (Scholastic, 1992)
- Murder She Purred: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery (Disney, 1998) Approximately 95 minutes
- Challenging Whodunit Puzzles: Dr. Quicksolve's Mini-Mysteries by James Sukach (Sterling, 1997)
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Persuasion Map is an interactive graphic organizer that enables students to map out their arguments for a persuasive essay or debate.
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Letter Generator is a useful tool for students to learn the parts of a business or friendly letter and then compose and print letters for both styles of correspondence.
- Flick Sheet: Murder She Purred
- Detective's Handbook project information sheet
- Expository Writing Cake handout
- Peer Editing/Revision Worksheet for Detective's Handbook Expository Entries
- Self-Monitoring Worksheet for Detective's Handbook
- Detective's Handbook Rubric