ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Family Memoir: Getting Acquainted With Generations Before Us
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Nine 50-minute sessions|
San Francisco, California
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Additional memoirs selected for study
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
Useful for a wide variety of reading and writing activities, this outlining tool allows students to organize up to five levels of information.
- The Art and Craft of Memoir Writing
- Memoir Assignment
- Two Possible Definitions for Memoir
- Discussion Questions for “Coming Home, Again”
- Discussion Questions for the “Love and Friendship” Vignette from The Mystery of Love
- Multiple Ownership of the Past
- Memoir Peer Review
- Memoir Rubric
- Writing with Love
- Coming Home Again
- Annotated List of Memoirs
- Sample Screenshot from ReadWriteThink Notetaker
- "Love and Friendship" Vignette from The Mystery of Love
- Memoir Bibliography
- Drawing the Line Between Facts and Fiction in Memoirs
- Get Nosy with Aunt Rosie
Note: This site opens with a request for donation page, but then takes you to the actual site.
- Make copies of the handouts for the lesson: Memoir Assignment, Memoir Rubric, “Coming Home, Again” by Chang-rae Lee, Discussion Questions for “Coming Home, Again,” Art and Craft of Memoir Writing discussion questions, Multiple Ownership of the Same Past discussion questions, Writing with Love discussion questions, and Memoir Peer Review.
- If you plan on completing the first extension, make copies of the Discussion Questions for “Love and Friendship” from The Mystery of Love and arrange for equipment to project the video excerpt.
- Make an overhead transparency of the Memoir Definition or copy the details on the board or chart paper. You may also want to make transparencies of the other handouts for reference during class discussion.
- Test the ReadWriteThink Notetaker on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.