ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Ferocious Fighting Fish: An Ocean Unit Exploring Beginning Word Sounds
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Grades 3 – 10 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
This interactive invites students to create original multigenre, multimodal works--one drawing and three written texts--making the tool flexible for multiple writing activities.
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
Students use this online tool to create an alphabet chart or pages for an alphabet book.
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing Poetry
This online tool enables students to learn about and write acrostic poems. Elements of the writing process are also included.
- Books with Alliteration
- Guided Practice for Alliteration, Revision Work Page
- Independent Worksheet
- Sample Books and Activities on Alliteration
- Alliteration Self-Assessment
- Class Book Template (Younger Students)
- Class Book Template (Older Students)
- Gather copies of books on the ocean or other theme, as well as books that feature alliteration.
- Make appropriate copies of Sample Books and Activities on Alliteration, Guided Practice Worksheet, Independent Worksheet, and Self-Assessment Checklist.
- If computers are available, review the Multigenre Mapper and decide whether to use the online tool or the printed Template for Younger Students or Older Students. If computers are not available, make copies of the template that is most appropriate for your students.
- Keep in mind while working on alliteration, that alliteration of children's names or the school name may be used inappropriately. Be sure to stop any name-calling right away, even if well intended because it has the potential to be hurtful.
- If you are using the online option, test the Multigenre Mapper on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.