ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Focusing Reader Response Through Vocabulary Analysis
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Class set of a novel
- Supplies to create posters
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Webbing Tool provides a free-form graphic organizer for activities that ask students to pursue hypertextual thinking and writing.
- Hobbit Word Categories for Group One
- Sample Explanation
- Hobbit Word Web
- Word Categories Rubric
- The Hobbit Word List
- Before this activity, students should have read the novel completely. This activity is suited for novels, plays, and other book-length resources. Shorter texts may not yield enough words.
- Make copies or overhead transparencies of the word list and word categories for The Hobbit, sample word web, and sample explanation.
- Make a copy of the Word Categories Rubric for each student.
- Test the ReadWriteThink Webbing Tool on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.