ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
From Quantitative to Qualitative: Writing Descriptions of Data From Tables
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Two 50-minute sessions|
New York, New York
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Tables from the websites (listed below)
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Compare & Contrast Map is an interactive graphic organizer that enables students to organize and outline their ideas for different kinds of comparison essays.
- Fast Facts, Open Doors
This site includes data in tables that students could use for the lesson’s writing assignment.
- The United States Census Bureau
This website includes a wealth of data in various visual formats, not limited to tables.
- Educational Attainment in the United States, 2010 – Detailed Tables
This page from the US Census Bureau allows users to generate tables in Excel so that they can include just the information they want to focus on.
- Make copies or an overhead of the Student Ascriptions of Gender Table, Compare and Contrast Chart. Sample Description of Student Ascriptions of Gender Table, and Textual Descriptions of Tables.
- Select the tables that students will use for the writing assignment later in the lesson, either from existing resources or by exploring the websites for useful tables.
- Make copies of Peer Review Worksheet for Describing Data in Tables.
- Make copies or an overhead of Grading Rubric for Descriptions of Tables.
- Test the Compare and Contrast Map on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.