ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Going Digital: Using e-Book Readers to Enhance the Reading Experience
|Grades||2 – 4|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||One introductory 45-minute lesson and four additional 15-minute minilessons|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Digital readers for student use
- Visual presenter and LCD projector for demonstration
- e-Books compatible with digital readers (Suggested titles include books from the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne.)
- Identify and download appropriate e-book titles to the digital readers. Consider students’ prior experience, interest, and reading levels when selecting books. The availability of specific book titles varies depending on the digital readers used (see Digital Readers Resources).
- If access to digital readers is limited, download multiple books on each device. Create a reading schedule that allows each student access to the device throughout the day. Alternatively, divide the class into small groups of 2–4 students, in which they will share a device and read together.
- Review your district’s technology policy and guidelines. Work closely with your district’s technology staff and/or administrators to ensure a successful downloading process of e-books.
- Download a short e-book (illustrated children’s book) on one digital reader to use for demonstration purposes during the introductory session. Obtain a copy of the print version of this title for your classroom. A suggested title is Magic Tree House #1: Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope Osborne, which is available in e-book format for most digital readers.