ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Guided Comprehension: Visualizing Using the Sketch-to-Stretch Strategy
|Grades||4 – 6|
|Lesson Plan Type||Recurring Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 60-minute sessions on consecutive days|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Computers with Internet access
- Freedom Summer by Deborah Wiles (Atheneum, 2001)
- The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson (Putnam, 2001)
- Three instructional-level texts (see Literatureplace.com: Friendship Bookfinder)
- Various art supplies (markers, crayons, paint, paper, etc.)
- Visualizing poster
- Sketch-to-Stretch template
- Sketch to Stretch (summary of strategy)
- Teacher Tool: Sketch to Stretch
- Summary Sheet: Student-Facilitated Comprehension Routines
- Literatureplace.com: Friendship Bookfinder
- National Geographic: Underwater Photo Galleries
- Barry S. Goldberg's Amazing Nature Photographs
|1.||Sketch to Stretch (summary of strategy), Teacher Tool: Sketch to Stretch, and the Summary Sheet: Student-Facilitated Comprehension Routines to become familiar with the sketch-to-stretch strategy. Another recommended resource is the book Guided Comprehension: A Teaching Model for Grades 3–8 by Maureen McLaughlin and Mary Beth Allen.
|2.||Read Freedom Summer by Deborah Wiles and The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson to become familiar with the stories used in this lesson.
|3.||Gather three instructional-level texts that match the needs of three levels of reading in your class (see Literatureplace.com: Friendship Bookfinder).
|4.||Make one copy of the Visualizing poster for use in class. Make two to three copies of the Sketch-to-Stretch template for each student.