ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Guided Reading Strategies with Henry and Mudge
|Grades||1 – 3|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night by Cynthia Rylant
- Henry and Mudge Questions
- Henry and Mudge Questions Interactive
- Sample Questions for Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night
- Henry and Mudge Books
- Oral Reading Rubric
- Obtain a copy of Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night for each student or pair of students.
- Make one copy of the Henry and Mudge Questions for each student.
- After Session Four, create a quiz about Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night from students’ questions and make one copy for each student.
- Test the Henry and Mudge Questions Interactive on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the Technical Support page.
- Gather several copies of Henry and Mudge books of various levels (optional; for extensions).