ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Heroes Are Made of This: Studying the Character of Heroes
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Six 50-minute sessions|
Washington, Washington DC
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Related readings that focus on strong characters and heroic action
Grades 6 – 12 | Student Interactive | Inquiry & Analysis
Students can map out the key literary elements of character, setting, conflict, and resolution as prewriting for their own fiction or as analysis of a text by another author in this secondary-level interactive.
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
This interactive tool allows students to create Venn diagrams that contain two or three overlapping circles, enabling them to organize their information logically.
- The My Hero Project
- Encyclopedia Mythica
- The Time 100: The World's Most Influential People
- Mock Trial of George Washington
- Preview lesson and decide which activities you wish to use and how much time you wish to spend. The lesson is designed to be flexible. You may just wish to use a single session, or you may decide to never have your students come together as a whole class to share their results, etc. Adapt the lesson to fit your class.
- Make copies of the Word Portrait Handout and, if desired, the Reader’s Log for each student.
- Make an overhead of the Hero Comparison Venn Diagram, if desired. Alternatively, you could draw this diagram on the board or chart paper.
- Test the Venn Diagram and the Literary Elements Map on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.