ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Improving Fluency through Group Literary Performance
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
Grand Island, Nebraska
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Books by Bill Martin, Jr.
- Writing materials and supplies
- Highlighter tape in various colors
- Tapes, CDs, and videos of Bill Martin, Jr.’s works (optional)
- Tape recorder and cassette tapes (optional)
- Videotaping equipment (optional)
- Square dance music (optional)
- Shared Reading Questions for Reflection and Self-evaluation
- Teacher, Teacher handout
- Chicka Chicka 1·2·3 Choral Reading Chart
- Bill Martin Jr/Michael Sampson Official Homepage
- Chicka Chicka 123
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
- Bill Martin reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
- Shared Reading
- Books by Bill Martin Jr.
- Readers Theater Collection
- Reading Rockets Interview with Bill Martin Jr.
- Teachers should be familiar with terms such as shared reading, choral reading, and readers theater.
- Assemble a collection of books by Bill Martin, Jr. This list of books by Michael Sampson and Bill Martin Jr. might also be useful.
- Bookmark the resources in the Websites section that you plan to use.
- Review details on the shared reading process to refresh yourself with the strategies used in Session Two. You can find scripts for Fire! Fire! and Here Are My Hands in the Readers Theater Collection.
- Make copies of the Questions for Reflection and Self-evaluation and Teacher, Teacher handout.
- Test the Venn Diagram on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.