ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Introducing Basic Media Literacy Education Skills with Greeting Cards
|Grades||5 – 6|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 50-minute sessions|
Fredonia, New York
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Art materials/old magazines for creating images for your postcard, or access to clip art or computer images
Grades K – 8 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Postcard Creator helps students learn to identify all the typical parts of a postcard, and then generate their own postcard messages by typing information into letter templates. After printing their texts, students can illustrate the front of their postcards in a variety of ways, including drawing, collage, and stickers.
- Holiday Celebrations
- New Holiday Celebrations
- Sample New Holiday
- Rubric for Greeting Card Assessment
- National Association for Media Literacy Education's (NAMLE) Core Principals
This website is a good resource for teachers who may want to delve deeper into media literacy issues.
- Hassle Free Clipart
These sites provide free clip art that students may choose to decorate their postcards.
- Collect greeting cards (both traditional paper cards and online cards) from various holidays or events—St. Patrick’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Kwanzaa, New Year’s Day, Diwali, Independence Day, Sweetest Day, Halloween, children’s birthday, bar mitzvah/ bat mitzvah.
- Familiarize yourself with the Postcard Creator from ReadWriteThink Student Interactives.
- Gather old magazines for clippings and other art supplies for student use.
- Make copies of handouts and rubric for students: