ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
An Introduction to Beowulf: Language and Poetics
|Grades||11 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Two 50-minute sessions|
Washington, Washington DC
- Beowulf: Language and Poetics Quick Reference Sheet
- Old English Beowulf Passage Handout
- Modern English Beowulf Passage Handout
- Excerpt from “The Age of Anxiety" by W.H. Auden
- Literary Guide: Beowulf
- The Electronic Introduction to Old English
- Beowulf: A Study Guide
- Readings from Beowulf
- Review the lesson and decide which elements you wish to use.
- Review the Beowulf: Language and Poetics Quick Reference Sheet.
- Print out for each student a copy of each handout you wish to use.
- For more background information on Beowulf see Beowulf: A Study Guide
- Test the Literary Guide: Beowulf on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.