ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
The Day Jimmy’s Boa Taught Cause and Effect
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Books by Trinka Hakes Noble:
- The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash
- Jimmy's Boa Bounces Back
- Jimmy's Boa and the Big Splash Birthday Bash
- Jimmy's Boa and the Bungee Jump Slam Dunk
- Blank paper folded in half
- Chart paper
- Crayons, markers, and colored pencils for illustrating
Grades K – 8 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Book Cover Creator is designed to allow users to type and illustrate front book covers, front and back covers, and full dust jackets. Students can use the tool to create new covers for books that they read as well as to create covers for books they write individually or as a class.
Grades K – 12 | Mobile App | Writing & Publishing Prose
Cover Creator allows users to type and illustrate covers for a variety of media.
- Causes and Effects in the Jimmy's Boa Books
- Jimmy's Boa and the Big Splash Birthday Bash Puzzle
- Flowchart Handout
- Book Rough Draft handout
- Book Handout
- Book Rubric
- Student Checklist
- Read through each of the books before the class sessions to help with oral reading and full understanding of each cause and effect.
- Print the Causes and Effects in the Jimmy's Boa Books handout for reference during lessons.
- Print Jimmy's Boa and the Big Splash Birthday Bash Puzzle, and cut into squares (enough pieces for 20 students).
- Print and copy the following handouts: Flow Chart Handout, Book Rough Draft Handout, Book Rubric, and Student Checklist handout. Make at least three copies of the Book Handout for each student to use for the final text of the books.
- Test the Book Cover Creator on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.