ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Leading to Great Places in the Elementary Classroom
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Two 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- One copy of each selected text from student handout
- Overhead of lead from a shared text
- Writer's notebook
Grades K – 8 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Book Cover Creator is designed to allow users to type and illustrate front book covers, front and back covers, and full dust jackets. Students can use the tool to create new covers for books that they read as well as to create covers for books they write individually or as a class.
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The interactive Printing Press is designed to assist students in creating newspapers, brochures, and flyers.
Grades K – 12 | Mobile App | Writing & Publishing Prose
Cover Creator allows users to type and illustrate covers for a variety of media.
Great Leads handout
- Read over the Great Leads handout to determine which ones to share with the class.
- Collect texts for the samples selected.
- Create a handout of leads from students' work, one lead for each student.
- Make an overhead of the lead from a shared class text, such as the most recent read aloud. It would be most useful to select a lead from a novel that the class enjoyed but felt was a slow starter.
- If you will complete an extension, test the Printing Press or Book Cover Creator on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.