ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Leading to Great Places in the Middle School Classroom
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 40-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Overhead of lead from a shared text
Grades K – 8 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Book Cover Creator is designed to allow users to type and illustrate front book covers, front and back covers, and full dust jackets. Students can use the tool to create new covers for books that they read as well as to create covers for books they write individually or as a class.
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The interactive Printing Press is designed to assist students in creating newspapers, brochures, and flyers.
Grades K – 12 | Mobile App | Writing & Publishing Prose
Cover Creator allows users to type and illustrate covers for a variety of media.
- Read over the Great Leads handout to determine which ones to share with the class.
- Schedule time in the library for the second session, during which students will search for additional great leads in small groups.
- Collect texts for the samples selected.
- Make an overhead of the lead from a shared class text, such as the most recent read aloud. It would be most useful to select a lead from a novel that the class enjoyed but felt was a slow starter. Alternately, you could use any of the leads on the Great Leads handout.
- If you will complete an extension, test the Printing Press or Book Cover Creator on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.