ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Literary Characters on Trial: Combining Persuasion and Literary Analysis
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Eight 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Persuasion Map is an interactive graphic organizer that enables students to map out their arguments for a persuasive essay or debate.
- Roles of the Members of a Trial
- Your Duties to Your Client as a Prosecution Attorney...
- Your Duties to Your Client as a Defense Attorney...
- Suggestions for a Mock Trial
- Trial Paper Rubric
- Trial Presentation Rubric
- Cast Outline
- And the Verdict Is...
- Agenda for a Literary Mock Trial
- Presentation Self-Evaluation Form
- Students should have read and discussed the text, The Tempest or another text, chosen for the mock trial before beginning this project.
- The instructor should be comfortable with all of the components of a mock trial. The instructor could use the Guide to Conducting Mock Trials for further information.
- Make copies of the Roles of the Members of a Trial, Duties of the Prosecution Attorney, Duties of the Defense Attorney, suggestions for the lawyers, Writing Rubric, Trial Rubric, Model Defense handout, Jury Verdict Form, Agenda for a Mock Trial, and Self-Evaluation Form.
- As students will be using their persuasion skills, provide background information in methods and forms of persuasion. Review ReadWriteThink lessons about persuasion.
- If desired, share a movie or TV show that portrays a trial scene and decide what strategies could be useful with instruction.
- Test the Persuasion Map on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.
- Test the Exploring the Judicial System Through a Literary Mock Trial travelogue on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that the sites are not blocked by any filtering software.