ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Literary Scrapbooks Online: An Electronic Reader-Response Project
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Eleven 50-minute sessions|
Charleston, South Carolina
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- PowerPoint software, or a similar piece of presentation software
- Internet access
- LCD projector, or large monitor
- Sample Electronic Scrapbook: Mark Twain, An American Icon
- PowerPoint Design Tips
- Directions for Creating an Electronic Scrapbook
- Sample PowerPoint Slide
- Self-check on Progress
- Rubric for Electronic Scrapbooks
- Students should have finished reading Huckleberry Finn, or the selected piece of literature.
- Choose the software that students will use to publish their scrapbooks. This lesson assumes that students are using PowerPoint; however, you can adapt the lesson to use other presentation software or Web publishing software.
- Students should have a working knowledge of PowerPoint and its capabilities. Consult the PowerPoint Design Tips handout if needed.
- If your students need extra practice or a more structured introduction to finding and evaluating Websites, complete the Inquiry on the Internet: Evaluating Web Pages for a Class Collection lesson before beginning this project.
- If desired, arrange for additional sites for students to explore. Try to limit the time that students spend freely "surfing the Web" to ensure the best use of class time.
- Test the Interactive Website Evaluation Form on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.