ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Many Years Later: Responding to Gwendolyn Brooks’ “We Real Cool”
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Five 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
"We Real Cool" by Gwendolyn Brooks
- The Future of the “Seven at the Golden Shovel”
- Partner Response Questions
- Peer Review Questions
- Golden Shovel Character Project Reflection
- Rubric for the Golden Shovel Assignment
- Sample Reporter’s Questions and Answers
- Sample Scenarios
- Gathering Ideas about a Golden Shovel Character
- Basic Character Analysis Questions
- John Ulrich's Comments on the Poem
- Gwendolyn Brooks
- Brooks' Life and Career
- On "We Real Cool"
- Gwendolyn Brooks: Online Resources, from the Library of Congress
- Make copies of “We Real Cool” for students to refer to as they complete their own writing. The poem is also widely available in anthologies and textbooks.
- Make copies or overhead transparencies of the lesson handouts for students: Assignment, Gathering Ideas about a Golden Shovel Character, Sample Reporter’s Questions and Answers, Partner Response Questions, Sample Scenarios, Rubric for the Golden Shovel Assignment, Peer Review Questions, and Golden Shovel Project Reflection.
- Test the audio clip of Audio Clip of Gwendolyn Brooks’ Comments and Reading of on the Poem and John Ulrich’s comments on the poem from the Favorite Poem Project on your computer to ensure that it will play on your machines.
- If computers are not available for Session Two, make copies of Transcript of John Ulrich’s comments on the poem.
- Test the Basic Character Analysis Questions on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.