ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Multipurpose Poetry: Introducing Science Concepts and Increasing Fluency
|Grades||3 – 5|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 30-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Insectlopedia by Douglas Florian (Voyager Books, 2002)
- Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman (Harpercollins Juvenile Books, 1992)
- Computer with Internet access
- Chart paper and markers
Research Information worksheet
- Copy the following poems from the two books listed under Materials and Technology in the Resources section onto chart paper.
"The Whirligig Beetles"
From Joyful Noise:
- Before teaching this lesson, students should have had multiple experiences with choral poetry readings. They should be familiar with different choral reading formats and comfortable working in small cooperative groups.