ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
On a Musical Note: Exploring Reading Strategies by Creating a Soundtrack
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The CD/DVD Cover Creator allows users to type and illustrate CD and DVD covers and related booklets for liner notes and other information. Students can use the tool to create covers for books, music, and films that they explored as well as to create covers for media they compose individually or as a class.
- Bookmark Example
- Options for Creating a Soundtrack
- Rubric for Creating a Soundtrack
- Creating a Soundtrack for a Text example
- Creating a Soundtrack for a Text chart
- Film Terminology and Cinematic Effects
- Choose a text to work through as an example for this project. This lesson uses The Beast by Walter Dean Myers as its example, but you can use any novel that students are familiar with.
- Select three or four songs or musical pieces that you think are appropriate and connect to the text. Gather CDs or record the songs to share with the students.
- Acquire a copy of the lyrics to those songs, if desired.
- Make copies or overhead transparencies of Film Terminology and Cinematic Effects, Rubric, Project Options, Bookmarks, Bookmark Example, Soundtrack Song Chart, and Soundtrack Chart Example for all students.
- Test the Online Soundtrack Song Chart and CD/DVD Cover Creator on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.