ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Narrative Structure and Perspectives in Toni Morrison's Beloved
|Grades||11 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Three 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Teaching Racially Sensitive Literature: A Teacher's Guide (optional)
- Large sheets of paper and markers (or access to Internet-based computers with printing capability or magazines, scissors, glue/tape)
- A class set of Toni Morrison's Beloved (Vintage, 2004)
- Overheads of passages for modeling close reading
- (Optional) Additional support activity on perspective and narration
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
This interactive tool allows students to create Venn diagrams that contain two or three overlapping circles, enabling them to organize their information logically.
- Gallery Walk Focus Questions
- Teacher's Guide to Close Readings of Beloved
- Writing Prompt: Highlighting Subjective Values through Narration
- Rubric for Beloved Responses
- Reflection Questions
- Prior to Session One, students need to have read Book 1 of Beloved. Read the "Teaching Racially Sensitive Literature: A Teacher's Guide" and decide which activities or approaches would be appropriate for Beloved and the students who will be reading it.
- Acquire enough large pieces of paper (3' x 3') and class sets of markers (or other art supplies/Internet access) for the number of groups you will have in class.
- View this sample student representation to get a sense of how students might respond to the task. In this example, students organized key events and scenes around the physical and symbolic image of water.
- Between Sessions One and Two, mount student work on the walls for the gallery walk.
- Test the 3-Circle Venn Diagram for Beloved on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tool and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the Technical Support page.
- Prepare overheads of the selected passages for close reading (see Teacher's Guide to Passages from Beloved for a list of passages).
- If you are unfamiliar with the terminology and processes associated with close reading of text, consult Close Reading of a Literary Text.