ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Packing the Pilgrimís Trunk: Personalizing History in the Elementary Classroom
|Grades||K – 2|
|Lesson Plan Type||Unit|
|Estimated Time||Nine 50-minute sessions|
Grand Island, Nebraska
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Books about the Pilgrims
- Books about Moving
- Trunks and items to classify
- Shoe boxes for each child to use as personal trunks
- Journals and writing/drawing materials
- Chart paper
- Plain paper to use as place mats
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
This interactive tool allows students to create Venn diagrams that contain two or three overlapping circles, enabling them to organize their information logically.
- Cornbread recipe
- Johnny cake recipe
- Fruit Salad letter
- Family letter explaining the project
- Sample Items†for the Student's Trunks
- Sample Items†for the Teacher's Trunks
- Assemble appropriate books about Pilgrims and moving.
- Preview the sites on the Websites about Pilgrims and Plymouth list and determine which are best suited for your students. Bookmark the list on any computers students will be using.
- Make copies of the family letters introducing the project and explaining the fruit salad activity.
- Make copies or an overhead of the samples for student's trunk, if desired.
- Assemble supplies to make cornbread, johnny cakes, and friendship salad. Make sure you are aware of any known food allergies among your students and communicate any food-related activities with enough time to change plans as necessary.
- Test the Interactive Venn Diagram on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.