ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, videos, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Persuading Readers with Endorsement Letters
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Six 50-minute sessions|
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Organizing & Summarizing
The Persuasion Map is an interactive graphic organizer that enables students to map out their arguments for a persuasive essay or debate.
Grades K – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Letter Generator is a useful tool for students to learn the parts of a business or friendly letter and then compose and print letters for both styles of correspondence.
- FTC Guides Concerning Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising
- Endorsement Letters Worksheet
- Endorsement Letter Peer Review Questions
- Persuasion Map Planning Sheet
- Endorsement Letter Rubric
- Foggy Mountain Guide Services Testimonial Letters
- Letters to Pets for the Elderly Foundation
- Lake Cook Health & Rehab Center Testimonial Letters
includes a letter in Spanish
- Weichert Realtors: Testimonial Letters From Our Clients
- Queen Latifah’s Jenny Craig commercial
- Celebrity Spotlight page on the Proactiv Solution site
- Information on Jared Fogle from the Subway Website
- Celebrity Endorsements
- Six Key Elements for a Testimonial Letter
- Gather some example endorsements to share with the class. A range of online testimonial letters is linked in the Websites section. If you have Internet access in the classroom, you might share video and Web page examples such as Queen Latifah’s Jenny Craig commercial, the Celebrity Spotlight page on the Proactiv Solution site, or information on Jared Fogle on the Subway Website. You can also find endorsements in print newspapers and magazines. Be sure to review the endorsements you plan to use for appropriateness.
- Make copies of the FTC Guides, Endorsement Letters Worksheet, Persuasion Map Planning Sheet, and Endorsement Letter Peer Review Questions for each student.
- Review the characteristics of an effective testimonial in the article Six Key Elements for a Testimonial Letter.
- Test the Letter Generator and Persuasion Map on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.