ReadWriteThink couldn't publish all of this great content without literacy experts to write and review for us. If you've got lessons plans, activities, or other ideas you'd like to contribute, we'd love to hear from you.
Find the latest in professional publications, learn new techniques and strategies, and find out how you can connect with other literacy professionals.
Teacher Resources by Grade
|1st - 2nd||3rd - 4th|
|5th - 6th||7th - 8th|
|9th - 10th||11th - 12th|
Polishing Preposition Skills through Poetry and Publication
|Grades||6 – 8|
|Lesson Plan Type||Standard Lesson|
|Estimated Time||Four 50-minute sessions|
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Behind the Mask by Ruth Heller
- Writer's Notebook
Grades 3 – 10 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
This interactive invites students to create original multigenre, multimodal works--one drawing and three written texts--making the tool flexible for multiple writing activities.
Grades 3 – 12 | Student Interactive | Writing & Publishing Prose
The Flip Book is designed to allow users to type and illustrate tabbed flip books up to ten pages long. Students and teachers can use the flip book for taking notes while reading, making picture books, collecting facts, or creating question and answer booklets.
- Read Behind the Mask (Grosset & Dunlap, 1995) before meeting with students so that you are prepared to read the book aloud and discuss the text with the class.
- Brainstorm a list of possible prompting questions to invigorate the discussion if necessary.
- Make copies of the Prepositions handout and the Preposition Poetry Guidelines.
- Write your own sample poem meeting the expectations in the Preposition Poetry Guidelines.
- If possible, make arrangements for students to meet in a computer lab or classroom for Sessions Two and Three. Prepare the computers by making bookmarks to the two student interactives used in the lesson: Multigenre Mapper and Flip Book.
- For background information on prepositions, as well as examples designed for ELL students, see the Purdue OWL sites Time, Place, and Introducing Objects and Prepositions of Direction.
- Test the Multigenre Mapper and the Flip Book tool on your computers to familiarize yourself with the tools and ensure that you have the Flash plug-in installed. You can download the plug-in from the technical support page.